Saturday, March 8, 2008

Weddings


One of the things I most enjoy shooting is weddings. With wedding you can't spend ten minutes moving lights around and getting everything just right. You have to make do with the light you have, the back drop you have and the flower girl having a melt down and running back and forth in front of your camera. Why would I enjoy that? Just the way God made me. I got my EMT license
the day I turned 18 and worked on an ambulance and in an emergency room for a couple years. I loved the job. You never knew what you would see next and you just had to man up and be ready to fix "it" no matter what "it" was. In the same way I never know just what the people, weather, setting, and light will be when I show up for a wedding, but it becomes my job to take great shots anyways. The picture posted was taken at a wedding just South of Salvang in a winery. The light was poor for photography but great to the eye. It was outside with lots of candles and few lights. I was shooting with another photographer that night and so we were having to work around each other. This shot was taken as the couple was posing for the other photographer. The shadow on the right is someone who was standing in between the couple and myself. Her arm was out when I shot so I had to crouch to shoot under the arm. On a side note I am 6'3" so I am often crouching as I find the pictures look better if I don't shoot down at people. I used the available light and a nikon VR lens so I could make use of the very warm candle light and not get a picture that looks like a point and shoot. I often try to make use of the available light as I like the look better, but the pictures don't aways work so what to do? I have the option button on my cameras set to disable the flash. That way I can take a picture with a flash to make sure I get the something then without slowing down to take my eye away from the camera body I push and hold the option button and take the second picture. So to sum up. It was dark and not my turn to shoot with someone standing in the way, but I saw the moment with the light on a stucco wall in the background, crouched, framed, disabled the flash with the option button and fired.

No comments: