Monday, March 10, 2008

Get closer



Many pictures that I see could be improved by having the camera closer to whatever was being shot. Look at some of your own work and see if this isn't true. There is usually a eye grabbing thing in the picture but that maybe lost by empty sky, carpet below and any number of other things that take away from the main subject. Whatever it is your shooting try getting closer. It also helps if you have a micro or wide angle lens. If you do use a wide angle lens when shooting people be aware that they may look distorted. This will add to the picture if you are taking a funny shot but will hurt the picture if you were shooting a bride who now looks clownish. When shooting weddings I most often shot with two camera bodies. A Nikon D300 and a Nikon D200. I do this for two reasons. One is so I don't have to slow down as much to change lenses. The other is so should I ever have an equipment issue I can keep shooting with out missing a thing. One of the lenses I often have on one of the cameras is the Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 EX hsm. This is a great lens to use in low light and also zoom in on something I see with out having to run over to get the shot. I use it to get closer when i can't. Is that a tear in the grooms eye? I can zoom in close while staying out of the way and not become a distraction to the wedding guests. This picture was taken at this little guys adoption party. He had just been given a cupcake and was going in for the kill. I had my Sigma 10-20mm EX hsm lens set wide and my SB-800 flash on the camera but set to bounce off the ceiling . As he went in for his first bite I swung the camera in in such a way as to get his attention and took the picture about 10 inches way from him. There is a lot of distortion being that close to him with a super wide lens but the moment allowed for that look and made it more fun. even still I need to crop it to make for a better picture.

No comments: