Saturday, March 8, 2008

Camera settings


I do almost all my work in camera. That is why the title, "off the green box". Most people leave their camera set to the automatic, or green box and miss most of what their camera can do. I was in a park next to a stranger when we both saw the same sunset. We both took our pictures then showed each other what we had shot, and I got the comment I often get. Why don't my pictures look like yours? Well he was on the green box. I shoot probably 80% of my shots on the vivid setting in my camera. This gives just a bit more color and contrast. This is not the setting to use with someone who has any skin issues as it often makes them more noticeable. This is the setting you want out doors when you want a bit more color in the sky and trees etc... I rarely use the second vivid setting because the colors tend to look a bit too heavy handed. Much like makeup, a bit is nice, a lot is bad. However there are times when I want all the color I can get. The picture I posted has the vivid turned up to the first setting to make the most of the sunset. I metered the camera down a bit so I would have a "black and color" picture. If I had used the cameras metering with out changing it I would have lost some of the color in the sky and added detail to the bottom of the picture that would have been a distraction. By shooting the picture darker I made the ugly weeds that the kids were standing on disappear into blackness. How do you get a picture darker? Faster shutter speed or smaller aperture. I used the exposure compensation button and turned it down a stop as this still used the cameras metering and is quick and easy.

No comments: