Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Give something extra


I have shoot a number of engaged couples and for the most part what they want and what works end up being the same thing. A nice close shot of the two of them so everyone knows when they get the invitation who is getting married without even having to read it. But it is also fun to get some other shots that might be used in a video. I was with this couple to downtown LA early on a Saturday (go early and the place is empty) to walk around and get some engagement pictures. With all the colors and textures to use as back drops it was easy to get some fun shots. We started at Pershing square and walked North and a bit West just following our eye to the next interesting spot. On the way back from the new Disney center I saw this empty food court. With the whole thing vacant I had the idea to fill it with the couple. I explained the shot to the couple and as I was traveling light and didn't have a tripod found a planer to rest myself on to try to get the same shot over and over. I wanted the couple to meet, talk, propose, and leave all in the same picture. I don't know that that comes through as well as it could. I dropped the color out of the back ground, then removed the food court sign and the chains that were keeping the chairs around the tables. Then it was just layering in the couple from each of the different pictures. People like to show others pictures of themselves but "normal pictures" aren't a good enough reason to walk down the hall to a coworkers cubical and disturb them. A picture that is different then they could have gotten on there own, or maybe even seen before is a good enough reason. Next time your asked to take some nice normal shots, do what your asked, but then give them something extra. They will still send out a traditional shoot for an invitation but this will get a lot of sharing that can lead to more jobs.

No comments: